Subject: Re: [Leica] film scanner DMax
From: "Gary Todoroff" <datamaster@humboldt1.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Jul 1998 23:56:39 -0700

> Five Senses Productions wrote:
> >
> > The 3.x number is called the DMax.  This is a relative scale to show
> > how much shadow detail a film scanner can handle.  A top of the line
drum
> > scanner
> > is about 4.0, or near perfect.  A Kodak PhotoCD is supposedly 3.7.  The
Nikon
> > LS1000 was 3.2 and the Polaroid SprintScan 35 Plus is 3.4.  I think I
have
> > read the
> > LS2000 is 3.6 or 3.7, which is amazing for a desktop machine!
> >
> > Francesco

I am looking at an economical way to produce some digital scans and wonder
if anyone would comment on the technique I am planning. My Honeywell
Repronar just did a great job of making b&w positives for projection (using
Kodak HC film to photograph the original negative - i.e., a negative of a
negative gives a positive).

Now I would like to use the Repronar to take color negs of slides and then
turn them in for Kodak PhotoCD processing. Film and processing will run
less than $30 for 36 exposures (if I don't get prints made, too). Less than
a dollar per scan would be very economical for fairly high resolution scans
on the CD.

Someday an LS1000 or 2000 would be great to have, but for now, the dup/CD
approach seems to be an easy way to test the digital waters (I already have
Photoshop 4.0). Any comments or ideas? Neg film to use, etc?

Thanks!
Gary Todoroff