Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Int'l price differences
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Fri, 03 Jul 1998 23:12:07 -0700

At 11:31 PM 7/3/98 -0400, you wrote:

>I would have thought, that when buys a $2000 camera body, to which one adds
>a $1000 lens, that nothing better damn well go wrong with it!
>Regards,
>
>Denton Taylor

Is it possible that you are really this naive? Is there anything
manufactured in the world that neither never breaks, nor can be broken? Oh
yeah... I forgot... Bruce Willis.

It's more than just a Leica breaking all by itself. Here in the US, if you
drop, run over, kick, drown, throw it out of an airplane (you'll have to
find it though), use it as a hockey puck... whatever... Leica will fix or
replace your camera free, within the passport warranty time, which right
now is three years. So it's not always a manufacturing problem. Sometimes
the owner is the problem. Without a passport... it could cost you, big
time, and big money. And accidents do happen. Remember, they are
"accidents," not "on purposes."

Do we pay for this protection? Yes. How much? The difference between gray
market prices and authorized dealer prices. It's insignificant. Really
insignificant when you add in the service you get from a good authorized
Leica dealer. Look at the prices at K&S last month. Approximately 20% off
of the normal prices. That put a new M6, with passport warranty, at $16xx
(I don't remember exactly.) Exactly the price of a good used M6. My
passport warranted new 35/1.4 ASPH was $2335. Someone will say "I got one
for $2295" or "$2195". I personally don't care. Another 5% off for a gray
market lens just does not compute. No matter how you arrange the parts, the
gray market package is a loser. IMHO.

I'll continue my good relationship with my local authorized Leica dealer.

Jim