Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica technology, creative control
From: Charles Dunlap <cdunlap@es.UCSC.EDU>
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 1998 11:53:58 -0800

>In practice, that's not the way it works. You have to keep your mind on
>exposure, but with a Leica, it's much easier to just do it and get on. With
>the new whiz-bang cameras you're always thinking "Am I in the right mode
>for this camera?

Yes, exactly. I remember trying to use my Nikon 8008s to learn on. I was
constantly frustrated by trying to second guess the automation. This wasn't
a matter of techniphobia or refusal to read the manual. I read the manual
and even bought a supplementary book. The problem was that in the heat of
the moment the automation added an extra layer of complexity when I wanted
to be in full control. I finally ended up switching to all manual modes,
but the temptation to use auto was always there. I didn't really get down
to the business of learning how to use a camera until I got an M6. It's a
far better camera for manual control than the Nikon was with the auto modes
shut off. It was what I needed.

- -Charlie