Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica technology, creative control
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Thu, 02 Jul 1998 07:23:45 -0500

At 08:36 AM 7/2/98 +0200, you wrote:

>And the less you HAVE to play with rings and dials, the more the camera
>is out of the way. That is the advantage of muti zone AF, high end ultra
>sophisticated matrix metering, high end ultra sophisticated auto-flash
>mangement and fast motors  ;-)

In practice, that's not the way it works. You have to keep your mind on
exposure, but with a Leica, it's much easier to just do it and get on. With
the new whiz-bang cameras you're always thinking "Am I in the right mode
for this camera? Opps, gotta change modes, oops, reach back there and
switch focusing zones, no, that's the wrong zone, there, now you notice in
the background something happening, and want to increase depth of field,
move focusing point where  you want it, focus, recompose, oops, in the
wrong mode, now have to go from manual to depth of field mode...change
custom settings from A to B (on an F5) because focus priority isn't right
for this kind of picture, on and on...

Yep, that's getting technology out of the way.

Leica.

Meter, set exposure, recompose, focus, snap. It becomes automatic. :-)

You can do that with the other camera, but then why bother with all those
extra modes?
- --

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.