Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica-what do pros use?
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Wed, 01 Jul 1998 19:29:25 -0500

At 08:52 AM 7/1/98 -0700, you wrote:
>job just because the WH press corps is going digital.  What I see is that
>press corps customers are demanding digital images because they are
>easier for them (the customer) to process.  They don't seem to mind that

Actually, they are not easier. They are harder to process, because one has
to compensate for some color bias the digital camera adds, though with the
new EOS DC2000/DCS520, that is less of a problem with the automatic white
balance. But the structure of the image (pixels) is still smaller and
different than an image from film. The MAIN reason they like digital is
it's fast and cheap (no film or chemicals - a camera can pay for itself in
2 years).

>crop of M lenses.  I suspect lots of others might also.  Afterall, what
>pro wouldn't want to reduce the size and weight of the load they must
>carry if the results are stunning?

We would LOVE to lessen the load. The size of digital cameras is getting
better (again the DC2000/DCS520 is the state of the art) and weight is not
a problem. But I'm willing to bet the R8/9... will be the digital Leica,
not the M6/7. Why? The M6/7 (note I'm not saying anything specific about
any M7 here, but just that there WILL be a new M some day) is the
antithesis of digital. It does best what digital does worst. The R8 is much
more flexible in terms of lenses and usage. And digital electronics is
still going to take up too much space for years. They had to take out the
self-timer to put a meter in the M6. There's no room for expansion in there.
- --

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch