Subject: Re: [Leica] Mercury batts in the US
From: "Don Ferrario" <don@ferrario.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Jul 1998 15:45:10 -0400

It is illegal to manufacture the mercury batteries (in the US)
It is illegal to import the mercury batteries (in the US)

It is NOT illegal to sell existing stocks (this assumes they
were here before the law changed).

A dealer would permitted to sell any he currently has, or
whatever amount he thinks he could get away with.

As a practical matter, I doubt anyone would care.  It would
be a federal violation (not a state law), and I can't imagine
the FBI getting involved in anything of this size.  Basically,
with distribution by major battery manufacturers having
been stopped, 99% of the trade went away.

As an individual, I wouldn't worry about it.  If I were a photo
dealer, I wouldn't touch them.

don ferrario