Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica-what do pros use?
From: apbc <apbc@public1.sta.net.cn>
Date: Wed, 1 Jul 98 23:46:45 +0800

bmw wrote
>Oddly, the last article I saw about the white
>house's own photographers (folks who work
>for the President, rather than the press)
>said they used .... Lecias....

Well they might in certain situations (in the Oval Office for example)
but the mainstay of this kind of event photography really needs AF and
fast zooms to keep up and that is what the White House photographer at
the event I covered was using (Nikon F5s FWIW w/20-35 and 80-200). You
might be interested to know that even the German federal press office
switched from Leica to Nikon (after making extensive tests, especially of
the flash systems, of everything on the market). One of the motivating
factors to switch was, according to their photographer covering the
Helmut Kohl tour of Asia I was covering then for Der Spiegel, that Leica
were charging simply outrageous sums for servicing equipment: such as a
repair to a 400/2.8 that cost more than a new Canon or Nikon (400/2.8)
lens would have. And that is in Germany for their highest profile
customers!

Of the press corps covering Kohl in China, Hong Kong, Singapore and
Vietnam I was the only one to be using Leicas (and not often at that).
Quite a few of the German diplomats and govt officials en route had
Leicas old and new though! Which brings me back to my point that Leica's
cachet is and always has been that it is the ultimate professional 35mm
camera however this is less and less true as time goes on: in crude
generalisations, those who want small, quiet and unobtrusive look
elsewhere, those who want ultimate image quality look to larger formats,
those who want fast and versatile look to Canon/Nikon AF so Leica's niche
is looking more and more like one based upon an engineer's or a jewel
collector's idea of photographic excellence and not that of a working
photographer.

 Therein lies the crux of my argument that Leica needs to concentrate on
satisfying its most important customers before it is too late: just look
what happened to Kodak when they forgot that pleasing professionals is
their most important marketing objective...

In UK or most of the rest of the world IME repairs run about double the
German rate with the exception of USA which seems cheaper. They had also
got fed up using Tamron 80-200/2.8 lenses for years whilst Leica promised
them they would have a Leica version any moment...

What say y'all to this?

Bests

Adrian

Adrian Bradshaw