Subject: [Leica] International Warrenty??
From: Bill Erfurth <m6rf@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Jul 1998 08:41:48 -0700 (PDT)

Bill Rosauer wrote:

>The reason why Leica USA is picky about this is >because of the gray
market.
>Gray market goods come from many different countries >and if there is
no proof that the item was not >legitimately purchased from a dealer
in the country of
>origin, then it can be logically assumed that the item >is gray
market.
>Leica will not honor the international warranty >without proof that
the item in question was purchased >from a legitimate Leica dealer
overseas.

- ---- snip ----

I am not sure that this is correct.  My understanding is that:

#1)  With the "Leica International Warranty", you can take (send) your
Leica whatever to any authorized Leica service center, any where in
the world, and they will honor the warranty as long AS LONG AS YOU
HAVE A RECEIPT FROM AN AUTHORIZED LEICA DEALER.  And, that is what
makes "Leica's International warranty" superior to the warranty of
other camera manufactures...in other words, that is part of what you
are paying for when you buy the body, lens, etc.

#2)  Leica USA's "Passport Warranty" is only good in the US.  If you
are in Europe, Asia, or even Canada the Leica service centers will NOT
honor the Passport warranty.

Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Regards,
Bill Erfurth