Subject: Re: [Leica] M6 electronics
From: Ken Wilcox <wilcox@umcc.umich.edu>
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 1998 14:34:10 -0400

Don:

I'll bow to your expertise on this. This piece is from a 1990 M6. My
repairer referred to a bad "chip" (defective in many cameras apparently)
and replace it with the current and different part.

The metering being so simple doesn't seem like it would really need a
computer does it!

Cheers!

kw

>Ken,
>
>I have never taken an M6 apart.  I'm speculating
>based on the time period it was designed, and
>what other cameras from that era are like
>inside (some of which I have had apart).
>
>I till suspect the IC is a voltage regulator.  The light
>meter would also require a few simple electronics
>which could be in this same package.  I don't know
>for sure.  It is unlikely the chip is custom made for
>Leica (at least when first designed).  That means
>there are probably legs on the chip that are unused.
>
>My only point is that, given the time period of the
>M6 design and early manufacture, it is not possible
>the device you saw is a RAM chip.  In 1970, computers
>were HUGE!
>
>;-)  don ferrario

- ----
Ken Wilcox                             Carolyn's Personal Touch Portraits
LHSA, MEA, LAW                      preferred---> <wilcox@umcc.umich.edu>
                                                     <kwilcox@gfn.org>