Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica technology, creative control
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 1998 09:13:55 -0700

At 08:45 AM 6/30/98 -0400, you wrote:
>Alan,
>
>Please tell me how you can control and interpret depth of field with lenses
>that no longer have depth of field scales, as most of the lenses coming
out of
>Japan no longer have.

Use a hyperfocal distance chart. When used correctly, this is a very
creative tool.
FotoSharp, (208) 248-1840, sells wallet size cards for most formats.
One of the problems is that the these lenses that have no DOF information
on them, are zooms, whose f/stop scale changes with the zoom position. This
cannot be engraved on the lens as it's always changing. So even with a
hyperfocal card, there's some guesswork involved.

>Then there is the problem of the depth of field preview
>lever.  Most cameras, except for the high end, eliminate this feature as
well.
>I guess you just rely on some pre-programmed mode such as portrait or
>landscape.  This is unacceptable to people who take photography seriously.
>The M camera will always have a following for these types of photographers.
>We can only hope that this market segment remains big enough for Leica to
>remain viable in the marketplace.
>
>Now, everybody do their part and go out and buy some Leica equipment! :)
>
>Bill Rosauer

I wouldn't own/use (for serious photography) a camera that doesn't have DOF
preview and MLU.

Jim