Subject: Re: [Leica] Horror Tale
From: Chandos Michael Brown <cmbrow@mail.wm.edu>
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 1998 10:53:17 -0400

I sent my cheapo Contax G 21/Biogon, which I'd purchased new, but grey
market, to Contax USA, because it had what appeared to be a defect in the
finishing of the chapter ring behind the front element.  Contax USA gave me
a stern lecture about the dangers of grey market and warranty coverage and
then sent me a brand-new unit: case, finder, the whole works.

I guess these lenses are so cheesey that they can afford to give them away.

Good luck with your repair.

Chandos

At 09:50 AM 6/30/98 -0400, you wrote:
>My one-month-old, Titanium 35 1.4. ASPH, has fallen apart! That's right,
>fallen apart. The aperture ring is totally disengaged from the click stop
>mechanism, and floats up and down - although it still controls the blades
>properly. At the same time, the "guts" of the lens seem to have slipped
>downwards so that too much protrudes from the rear.
>
>I called Leica this a.m. only to be told that since my warranty card wasn't
>stamped by the dealer - I bought the thing in Amsterdam and was in a hurry
>(and think I probably got sold the equivalent of a car with sawdust packed
>in the transmission) - I'll probably have to pay for the repair. The guy I
>spoke with said they'd check with Germany, but this one is probably on me.
>
>God, but I'm glad I didn't buy any of those cheapo Zeiss lenses for the G2
>that Kyocera stamps out. Thank God I bought a piece of Leitz equipment, that
>lists for about $2,800, built for my children and grandchildren!

Chandos Michael Brown
Assoc. Prof., History and American Studies
College of William and Mary

http://www.resnet.wm.edu/~cmbrow/