Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica and 15 year old technology
From: apbc <apbc@public1.sta.net.cn>
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 98 22:59:43 +0800

Ted wrote,

>When I was "forced" to use Canon EOS 1 gear for two years due to whom I
>worked for at the time, "I was not allowed to use my Leicas. Period!" I
>found as I had with any of the auto everything cameras, that I became a
>"lazy photographer" just for the reasons you post.

Very good point Ted and I think that is at the heart of my dilemma about
whether to move from EOS to R series cameras (against the tide of
history, my bank balance and perhaps my better judgment!) - I still do
not find AF, however well implemented and for all the photos it has got
me which IMHO would otherwise have got away, as intuitive as just letting
my fingers turn the focussing ring as I look through the finder and as I
know from my pre-AF experience focussing was not a major problem with my
photographs most of the time.
This is the main reason I do not like the Contax G2 as much as my Ms:
OTOH give it an M mount and an M viewfinder and we'd have a mean new
picture taking machine!

But like so much 'progress' you can never be sure how much you have
simply grown lazy in depending on it and how much it is really saving yr
tail unless you take the plunge and go with yr instincts (which in my
case are all confused for the time being!!). Bit like getting back on
your bike after getting a car - an apposite image in my current
situation...

Bests

Adrian

Adrian Bradshaw