Subject: Re: [Leica] Horror Tale
From: tedgrant@islandnet.com (Ted Grant)
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 1998 08:04:04 +0100

B.D. Colen wrote:

>My one-month-old, Titanium 35 1.4. ASPH, has fallen apart! That's right,
>fallen apart. The aperture ring is totally disengaged from the click stop
>mechanism, and floats up and down - although it still controls the blades
>properly. At the same time, the "guts" of the lens seem to have slipped
>downwards so that too much protrudes from the rear.
>
>I called Leica this a.m. only to be told that since my warranty card wasn't
>stamped by the dealer - I bought the thing in Amsterdam and was in a hurry
>(and think I probably got sold the equivalent of a car with sawdust packed
>in the transmission) - I'll probably have to pay for the repair. The guy I
>spoke with said they'd check with Germany, but this one is probably on me.>>>>

Surely Leica, USA or Germany can confirm purchase location throguh the
serial number as that can't be any big deal in this day of wizard computer
tracking from serial numbers to bowel movements.

If you get stuck with a repair bill on this one I'd be screaming bloody
murder to Germany! Due to purchase location Amsterdam the purchase wouldn't
come under the jurisdiction of New Jersy. That is if you live in the USA?
Although all our purchases come under an international warranty....I think?

Therefore it should be serviced or, replaced would be more like it, by your
nearest Leica dealer.

This will have an interesting ending. We on the LUG await the outcome.

Ted Grant
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant