Subject: RE: [Leica] RE: 20mm Russar
From: Ken Wilcox <wilcox@umcc.umich.edu>
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 1998 18:40:32 -0400

When the M camera a lens mount were designed it was decided to make the
flange to film distance 1mm shorter for the M bodies. This allowed a 1mm
thick adapter to make it possible to use existing screw mount lenses.

Even if it were possible to attach an M lens to a screw mount body, without
modifying the body the lens would be 1mm too far from the film and
therefore would not focus properly.

Cheers!

kw

>Most places that carry used Leica equipment can sell you an LTM to M
>adaptor.
>
>Which prompts me to ask: Is there such a thing as an M to LSM adapter, to
>allow the use of the M lenses on the older bodies? If not, why not - is it a
>technical problem, or simply one of economics?

- ----
Ken Wilcox                             Carolyn's Personal Touch Portraits
LHSA, MEA, LAW                      preferred---> <wilcox@umcc.umich.edu>
                                                     <kwilcox@gfn.org>