Subject: RE: [Leica] Leica and 15 year old technology
From: "B. D. Colen" <BDColen@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 1998 14:16:03 -0400

they
are confounded by their historical success ?

unless leica can develop photographic equipment that keeps people
buying new products, whether those people are existing or new users,
leica will be out of business. all their gear will become "future
collectible".....

mark

Which raises the very interesting question of whether Leitz is threatened by
the lack of obsolescence, planned or otherwise, in its equipment. That and
the - I still believe - outrageous price to performance ratio. (I would
note, by the way, that the the French tests to which many of you refer with
some frequency often give Leica lenses 4 "stars" for quality, and four
"stars" for how the staff feels about them, but virtually never give more
than ** in the price/performance area.