Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica and 15 year old technology
From: apbc <apbc@public1.sta.net.cn>
Date: Sun, 28 Jun 98 18:51:16 +0800

Eric wrote,

>you make unfounded statements like the
>R8 is based on 15 year old technology. It's simply not true. I'm sure the
>lack of AF might mean something, buy the microprocessor inside, and the
>matrix metering is certainly not 15 year old tech

Eric let me elaborate - the main 'innovations' of the R8 are (and please
correct me if I am wrong)

1/ faster shutter with 1/8000 max and 1/250 flash sync (cf. Nikon FA,
1983 or the FM2 of 1982)
2/ 5-zone matrix meter (cf Nikon FA, 1983)
3/ single zone auto-balanced fill flash (Canon T90, mid 1980s or Nikon
8008)
4/ rewinding motor (Nikon F2, 1972)
5/ polycarbonate/composite construction of baseplate and back (late
seventies, just about every Japanese manufacturer)
6/ electronic lens mount interface (Praktica, 1970s and Canon/Nikon mid
1980s)
7/ LED digital displays - (1970s, Canon A1)
8/ The flash metering function - is it not just about identical to the
RTSIII's (1989) ?

So on balance I think my assessment was fair - with the exception of the
last point (seven years before R8 was introduced) the R8 is simply a
repackaging of almost, or even greater than, 15 year-old technology with
the three main camera functions - shutter, meter and film transport -
being respectively bought in (from Japan), copied/reverse engineered, and
botched. All this in a package which has grown about 20% in size and
weight over its predecessors without any detectable increase in
reliability: the opposite seems to be the case IME (even the first two
demos I saw had serious faults). Still that is my impression,
unscientific and biased against Leica in general and the R8 in particular
since the dozen or so Ms and two dozen M lenses I have owned have skewed
my reasoning <g>.

Of course with the magnificant (but incomplete) lens line there is still
life in the system but for how much longer can Leica survive in an
increasingly high-tech driven field? Perhaps digital is the way out - I
hope so but still believe it would be better for Leica to team up with a
major digital player whilst they still have a good reputation (and are
solvent) than to go it alone. By the way the word I have from dealers is
that the R8 is a very slow seller these days and even the initial
interest dropped pretty quickly after it came to market...

Best regards,

Adrian

Adrian Bradshaw
Photojournalist