Subject: [Leica] Re: spare parts inventory (WAS: CL vs CLE)
From: Pascal <cyberdog@ibm.net>
Date: Sat, 27 Jun 1998 12:38:02 +0200

On 25-06-1998 20:36 Raimo Korhonen wrote:

>But of course Minolta=B4s policy of keeping parts in the
>inventory is different from Leica=B4s.

How about this: I wanted to sell an old but perfectly working Canon AE-1
body with standard 50mm lens, and found out the second hand shop didn't
want it because they would have been unable to honor their 6 months
guarantee on second hand equipment. Reason: Canon does not sell any more
spare parts for their AE-1 (and I presume other A-series cameras as
well), nor would they have any inventory left. And this camera was first
made in 1976 and sold for many years thereafter. So, if your "old" AE-1
breaks down, you can basically throw it away. At the same time you may as
well throw away your FD lenses (some of which are excellent), because
they don't fit on any contemporary EOS body. Nice...
What a difference compared to the situation at Leica. Something to
consider when buying cameras :-)

Pascal

Check out: http://members.xoom.com/cyberplace/
Macintosh PowerBook G3 - it eats Pentium notebooks for lunch