Subject: Re: [Leica] Focusing with aging eyes
From: Mark Walberg <Walberg@simmons.swmed.edu>
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 1998 13:38:23 -0600

>I am finding more and more frequently that focusing the M6 at distances
>beyond about 10 feet is getting to be difficult for me, given the image
>size. With a 50 and a 35 this isn't much of an issue. With the 90 it is. I
>have a 90 Summicron. Do any of you have an suggestions - other than to spend
>$2000 on the .85 M6, which my wife would be happy to tell you is not an
>option - to deal with this problem? I wear glasses, and use them when I
>shoot. I assume that an external finder would at least make life easier in
>terms of viewing the scene, but focusing...
>
>Thanks

The kind of glasses you have makes a big difference.  The last time I went
to the eye guy, I took my camera with me to make the point about what I
needed.  The eye guy had pictures all over his walls he had taken with his
Nikon.
  I told him I wanted a pair of glasses that would 1) correct my
astigmatism, 2) be optimized for focusing my camera and 3) provide adequate
focus for viewing all except very close subjects (so I can see what I'm
photographing).  He said he knew exactly what I needed, and he gave me a
pair of single distance glasses which are great.  I can't see anything
closer than about 2 feet, so I have to take the glasses off to read.
Focusing the camera is MUCH easier than with my other glases, which are
those "progressive" glasses that evolved from bifocals.
  If you are using "progressive lenses in your glasses, I strongly advise
you to make a trip to the eye guy and tell him you need single vision
glasses for focusing your camera.

   A considerably more complicated solution is described by David Reuther here:
http://www.fcinet.com/ruether/articles.html#glasses
- -Mark Walberg