Subject: RE: [Leica] R6.2 Shutter Speed Dial
From: "Patrick G. Sobalvarro" <pgs@sobalvarro.org>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 23:29:33 -0700

> From: owner-leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
> [mailto:owner-leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us]On Behalf Of
> yeo-ka@dematic.com.sg
>
>      Hi Everybody;
>
>      I have been on this list for same time now, and recently
> just bought a
>      R6.2 new body without lens. Everything seems OK when I checked it
>      without a lens. This week, I managed to get my hands on a used mint
>      50mm and whilst playing with the camera, discovered that the meter
>      does not linked with the shutter speed dial.

It does sound to me like your R6.2 is faulty.  The behavior you describe
would not be caused, for example, by the use of a 2-cam lens.  It doesn't
sound very expensive to fix -- I would guess that the potentiometer or
encoder or whatever device is used to sense the shutter speed dial position
is probably what has failed.  This seems like a likely culprit, because the
shutter speed dial is moved around a lot.

In your place I would call a few reputable repair people and ask them if
this is something they can fix in house.  I would not send it to Leica USA,
because they charge about 1.5 to 2 times what the better independent shops
do, and they sometimes take a couple of months to do a simple repair.

- -Patrick