Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Screw mount Leicas and lenses
From: Ken Wilcox <wilcox@umcc.umich.edu>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 07:38:28 -0400

I suspect it is totally consumer demand. The Elmar does have the advantage
of being much smaller and lighter. I think the Summitar is currently a real
bargain.

Perhaps there is less interest in the Summitar because it was replaced by
the slightly better Summicron whereas the Elmar is the "last of the line"
for that design lens. (Except for the 2.8 version which is not better, just
faster)

Cheers!

kw

>Is there some reason why the 50 Elmar f3.5 is more pricey than the 50
>Summitar f2 when the Summitar is a very nice lens capable of fine
>performance even at large apertures?
>
>Dan K.

- ----
Ken Wilcox                             Carolyn's Personal Touch Portraits
LHSA, MEA, LAW                      preferred---> <wilcox@umcc.umich.edu>
                                                     <kwilcox@gfn.org>