Subject: Re: [Leica] Offtopic: Scanners and inkjet printers
From: Alan Ball <AlanBall@csi.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 1998 17:54:46 +0200

Nathan Wajsman wrote:
>...CUT>....
> I shoot are never printed; they are slides and I enjoy them on the projector. I don't suppose you will tell > me that one can't see the Leica difference in projected slides?

That is the point: yes, with a good projector and very good projector
lens, on a good, clean screen, in a dark enough environment, if the
slides do not pop out like crazy or if the horrendous job of squeezing
slides between anti-Newton glass mounts was done properly, then yes,
definitely, slide projection is a great way to see the "Leica
difference". A very good loupe and a good light table make observation
easier and more reliable though.

Most of the rest, from careless minilab prints to web pages, is to
various degrees, an insult to that "difference". This includes IMHO
consumer grade digital imaging.

Justice is done to your slides or negatives through scrupulous, hand
tweaked, work in the darkroom. Yours (for b/w) or a good lab (for colour
negs and slides). I find there is one digital technique that works very
well though and that is available at 'normal' prices: the Agfa Digiprint
for slides. Give it a try: if you do not put your nose on it and if you
do not spend your time looking for the screening pattern through a
loupe, it is almost as rewarding as Ilfochrome...

Amitiés,
Alan
Brussels-Belgium