Subject: RE: [Leica] Leica S1
From: "B. D. Colen" <BDColen@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 1998 11:14:00 -0400

- -----Original Message-----
From:	owner-leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
[mailto:owner-leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us] On Behalf Of James J
Dempsey
Sent:	Wednesday, June 24, 1998 9:21 AM
To:	apbc
Cc:	leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject:	Re: [Leica] Leica S1

Adrian Bradshaw wrote about the Leica S1:
> Can't imagine even the most enthusiastic collector
> would spring for one. Whilst the specs do look impressive for the S1 it
> seems an odd and IMHO ill-advised move on the part of Leica to be
> devoting precious resources to such a product when IMHO they would be
> better spent fixing their core lines [ such as M and R ]

Is it just me, or doesn't it occur to anybody that if Contax can sell it's
outstanding G series lenses (I know they're made in Japan - they are still
fabulous lenses) for a fraction of what the same focal length and aperture
Leica lenses sell for, then Leica could slash its prices, exponentially
increase its market share, and really be back in the RF camera business?
Maybe I'm missing something here - well, actually, I know I'm missing
something here when this list is taken up with endless arguments over
whether Canadian or German lenses, Solms or Wetzlar lens and equipment, are
better than....)