Subject: Re: [Leica] Defense of Aperture
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 1998 19:22:58 -0500

At 04:47 PM 6/23/98 -0400, you wrote:
>I can believe that negative comments were made about Aperture, I cannot

Sorry, but much of what they print is trash. That's it. Of course, that's
my opinion, and I have quite an eclectic taste in photographers. From Ansel
Adams to Duane Michals. And many, many in-between. But I find a lot of
stuff I've seen printed in Aperture over the last 20 years is worthless
navel-gazing self-indulgent drivel.

Then there are times when it's great. Don't think I denigrate art
photographers because they're art photographers. I do it because I find
their work beneath contempt.

Andreas Seranno (of the famous Piss picture) is one I lump in with the
trash. Like what I just saw him on TV (HBO, you would be right to guess)
photographing in the field with I believe was a RZ67. Hey a show about a
photographer I'm thinking...

 Sheesh, what was I watching? I turned the channel and thought I was going
to see a photographer at work. Turns out it was bestiality! (A nude model
playing with a horse, and you can guess what part). My gosh, this on
television? Back to good old blood and guts for me with Men in Black real
fast.

Now that's a pretty picture. Art? Hardly. And a photographer the "art
world" of which Aperture is a part, lionized for his "freedom of
expression." I read it as religious persecution, and just plain sickening
photos as it turns out.

>between a 20 year old Rollei and modern Leica optics.  Don't think I want to
>take on my Hassie.

Especially the 110 f/2, a lens I've lusted for for years now! Some day...

For now, I've got lots of Leicas to buy.
- --

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

Some people say that I'm superficial, but that's just on the surface.