Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica S1
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 1998 07:32:54 -0500

At 04:02 PM 6/23/98 +0800, you wrote:

>trendy high-risk field of digital has been embarked upon by a company
>that is poorly positioned to take a leading role in this
>capital-intensive line. It seems to be an overly expensive and risky
>diversion for Leica which is not so financially secure as you suggest:
>their growth markets (principally Asia) have been pretty much wiped out
>and they have been losing market share amongst professionals for decades
>now - just check the annual report figures. For a company whose cachet

Simply not true. They are gaining with pros. Things are down in Asia, no
surprise there. But in the US, the R line increased 51 percent last year.
Right now I wouldn't expect a lot of growth. People always seem to wait in
a Photokina year to see what's coming. We shall see the end of this year
and next year with new products if Leica is going to keep increasing. They
are healthier than Nikon in terms of growth. Maybe even Canon. Both of
those companies are scrambling to keep sales up at least as seriously as
Leica, if not more.

As for Leica dabbling in digital, they've been doing it for years. This is
just their first product. Wait to see what else comes. As much as I don't
like digital, they took a step into an area where it can be afforded a lot
more than amongst amateurs, collectors or photojournalists, who tend to be
their biggest customers to date. Catalog photographers should love the S1.
It's size with tilts, shifts and multiple lens lines should make it a very
popular camera for still lifes, commercial (where two or three days' work
can pay for one) copy work, restoration of photos, etc.
- --

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch