Subject: Re: [Leica] The family of man
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 1998 06:28:12 -0700

Robert Beaudoin wrote:

>   Recently, there were a couple of posts referring to a book called The
> Family of Man.   Well luggers, this book is a
> must.  I had never heard of that book before and I was thrilled to the bone.
> Photographs that are absolute classics.  It is the kind of book that has a
> huge inspirational power.  You take a look at it and feel compelled to load
> that IIIg, or any of those lesser Leica cameras :-), and go hunting for
> equal images (which is...hmm...unlikely).  If any of you see a copy at a
> good price, grab it.  That book is a must.  Or was I the only one to never
> have heard of it?

Maybe one of the best known books in photography.  Recently there was a
book published (name I can't remember) that chronicles the creation of
the project.

If you like that, try to find a book by Ken Heyman called The World's
Family.  It is one of my favorite books.  It has nearly the power and
depth of the FoM, but all shot by one person.  I think it stands with
Salgado's book Workers and Ernst Haas book The Creation (all three shot
with Leicas!) as one of the giant landmarks in the history of
photography.

Anyone know what Ken Heyman is doing today?  He is still on the ASMP
member list.

donal
- --
Donal Philby