Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica-an endangered species?
From: apbc <apbc@public1.sta.net.cn>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 98 16:02:51 +0800

Lucien wrote,

>I'm more worried by possible bankruptcy or buying out
>because of bad strategic choices (Minox),
>bad marketing choices (current advertisement campain*),
>bad subcontractor choices (R8 motor),
>or bad products choices (R 35-70/4, R 28/70, Mini 3, Minilux Zoom,
>and lack of R 21/2,8, 20-35/2,8, 35-90/2,8, M7 etc...)
>and  I forgot the Asian market  ;-)   ,
>than by an APS or Digital threat.

Lucien,

You seem to be one of the few who sees the larger picture ('small camera,
big picture' don't forget!). Leica seems to be shaving away at its
margins, failing in large measure to produce what the pro and demanding
amateur markets want and indulging in areas which cheapen the brand
identity (tie clips, ash trays etc., natty P&S toys). They need IMHO to
get back in the fray and concentrate on being the ultimate professional
cameras: if they can maintain a clear and meaningful quality edge over
their competitors they will have the best chance at surviving and
prospering. When they waste resources catering for the carriage trade or
non-core lines they will suffer and possibly collapse as they have so
nearly so many times. They no longer have microscopes and military
contracts to bail them out.

My bet is that Leica will go out of business within ten years or they
will be bought out by a larger competitor: now a distinct possibility
given that they are a public company and shareholders will opt for $ (DM)
over heritage.

Judging from Rollei's renaissance under Samsung who knows but a
taken-over Leica might be an exciting prospect: look at what the infusion
of investor capital did for the M lens line and R series since they went
public (but also look at where else they are spending money - S1, point
and shoots, feeble advertising). Might be a terrible shame too.

Let's hope they make the right decisions!

Bests

Adrian

Adrian Bradshaw
Photojournalist