Subject: Re: [Leica] Great reading
From: Charles Dunlap <cdunlap@es.UCSC.EDU>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 1998 15:19:30 -0800

>HOW do I get a hold of an unbiased, practical article that compares the G2 to
>Leica's M6?

I haven't seen one. Part of the problem is that the G2 and M6 are quite
different and address a different set of problems. The author usually can't
resist leaning one way or the other depending on which camera she likes to
use.

The recent Photo Techniques review was one of the most biased write ups
I've seen on the issue, however. Did you notice that all of the "street
shooting techniques" that the author suggested were actually better suited
to a Leica M with a motor drive than they were to a G2? The author,
apparently, doesn't need the AF or autoexposure on the G2 in his normal
shooting.

I had a long debate with myself about three years ago concerning buying an
M vs. a G. I settled on the M and haven't looked back. I wouldn't consider
the G at this point. Maybe, if I had a lot of money, I would get one as a
third camera system (after an R setup for macro work), but I'm not that
well heeled. The G is aesthetically pleasing and an economical way to step
up from mainstream SLR optics, but a lot of Leica dealers report people
selling off G systems to get M systems after a year or two.

No doubt a person could be happy and fulfilled with the G. But there are
enough drawbacks with it that I finally decided against. My top few
complaints: 1) dinky viewfinder, better than a point and shoot but nowhere
near as good as the M; 2) totally battery dependent; 3) AF w/no real manual
focus (I tried focussing on a neon sign and on window reflections with the
G--it balked); 4) noisy; 5) useless screw on lens hoods that you have to
buy separately; 6) lens mount not nearly as easy to use and sturdy feeling
as the M bayonet mount; 7) lack of depth in lens selection compared the >50
years worth of M lenses that I can choose from (not to mention such things
as the Noctilux, 75 Summilux, or 35/1.4 ASPH); 8) mushy aperture ring; and
finally 9) It's too pretty and stands out too much (it's a real pity that
Kyocera that the black version was a limited collectors edition).

I gues you're still not getting an unbiased view are you?

- -Charlie