Subject: Re: [Leica] Prints from slide film (off topic)
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 1998 07:42:08 -0700

Eric Welch wrote:

> But there is a beauty in slides that I still love. My more pleasing to
> edit. Easier to find in an archive (non-computer) and they have a look > when projected that is magic.

Eric,

Had meeting with owner of a large editorial agency during Photo Expo
last week in LA and we discussed film.  He recommended against BW since
there is very little market and that color can be converted.  The agency
does handle extensive files of photos shot on neg--they mostly just scan
and return.  But he said editing a hassle and digital delivery is the
only convenient solution, unless one is ready to shoulder the costs of
scanning and using film recorder to get back to slide.  He recommended
slide film as the overall best bet to use if at all possible--convenient
to file, acceptable as a medium to publications, etc.

Was just reading new edition of Photographer's Forum which includes good
interview with Robert Pledge, head of Contact Press, and he says they
are still shooting mostly Kodachrome because of their mission to
produce, like Magnum, a record of history that won't fade away.

donal
- --
Donal Philby
San Diego