Subject: [Leica] Negative size
From: George Huczek <ghuczek@sk.sympatico.ca>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 1998 06:20:55 -0600

Every once in a while I come across something that I read that takes me by
surprise.  A case in point occurred yesterday.  I was reading David
Vestal's "The Craft of Photography", one of Mike Johnson's recommended top
10 which is worth reading.  The edition I have is quite old (1975), written
at a time when David was still using an M2, a Miranda sensorex, and a MF
Rolleicord.
   He is writing about enlarging equipment, discussing the way to file down
a negative carrier to print full frame.  He says,

"A glassless carrier can be carefully filed down so the opening is slightly
larger than your largest negatives (the ones made with wide angle lenses)."
 p 123

   I was always under the impression that negatives in 35mm were all the
same size, based on the size of the film gate in the camera.  I have never
noticed that negatives made with wide angle lenses are slightly larger than
those made with other lenses.  Can anyone verify that negatives made with
wide angle lenses are, in fact, slightly larger?  It just doesn't sound
right to me, so I thought I would ask to see if anyone knows whether or not
this is true.

- -GH