Subject: Re: [Leica] Is the Leica an endangered species?
From: "Jeff Alford" <alford@batnet.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Jun 1998 22:41:17 -0700

Erwin,

It saddens me to think that the Leica is endangered. I love the look and
feel of the photographs that I capture with those fine lenses rather than
the image created and modified by a PC.

I love to photograph in Ghost Towns. It is sort of like a sickness of mine!
Over the last couple of years I switched over from transparencies to print
film. Ghost Towns offer many challenges, extreme contrast is one of them.
Leica lenses  and print film help me capture the mood (not to mention the
extreme range) of these situations. The film of choice is Fuji Reala. I use
my Gitzo most of the time.

Recently, because of the LUG, I have been experimenting with available light
photography sans tripod! I am looking forward to acquiring a 50/1.4 Summilux
for my M system.

As for the question" How can APS have a 25% market share?" That's easy. Just
remember who is financing APS, camera and film manufacturers. With so many
players, APS is NOT going to go away. The market for single use cameras is
surprising large and many manufacturers are changing these cameras over to
APS. Viola, instant market share!

Long live Leica,

Jeff Alford