Subject: [Leica] Prints from slide film (off topic)
From: "Paul T. Collura" <pcollura@epix.net>
Date: Sun, 21 Jun 1998 21:17:41 -0400

Dear Luggers:
Forgive me if this has been discussed recently but I have been away from
the computer for extended periods of time lately.

I have started using slide film again for more "serious" photography
after years of print film use mainly for family photos. Occasionally, I
would like to make a print to give as a gift or hang on a wall from a
particularly good slide. I was dismayed that local photo labs use a
computer and drum printer to make prints from slides stating that the
internegative method is not as good. Nobody does Ilfochrome (Cibachrome)
in my area so I have never seen the results from it.  I thought all
publications still insist on slides for stock photography. How do they
get transfers which seem great to the printed page?  I was disappointed
by the computer generated prints in that they lacked depth and
"transparency" which is exactly what we covet with our expensive Leica
gear.

Should I go back to print film for non family photos?  What if I get a
few dozen great shots - will publications be interested in negatives?

Any comments welcomed.

Paul T. Collura