Subject: Re[2]: [Leica] 50 summicron
From: Peterson_Art@hq.navsea.navy.mil
Date: Sun, 21 Jun 1998 15:47:53 -0400

Michael wrote:

>Where the lens that were/are made in canada made at a specific time or
>throughout the production run, if i pay leica prices i would just rather have
>the german lens.>>>>>>>

Then Ted Grant responded:

>My Canadian red maple leaf blood is showing again! :)

>If the lens is/was made in Canada or Germany, why would you want the one
>made in Germany when they are exactly the same?  Or do you suppose we
>Canadians don't know how to put them together as well as the Germans? :)

     Ted,

     I do NOT suppose that, but certainly it's one possibility---the other
     possibilities being that Canadian and German lenses are equally good,
     or that (as Robert Stevens just wrote) Canadian lenses could even be
     superior.  But whatever the case, it's not worth getting upset over.
     I'm a US citizen, but my Tele-Elmarit came from Canada, my Leica CL
     from Japan, and other stuff from Germany.  Someone might say camera
     equipment made in the US would not be as good.  Maybe so, maybe not!
     If I knew the facts, I'd offer them, but I shouldn't let it upset me.

     Just a thought, from one who wouldn't mind being in Canada RIGHT NOW,
     but who unfortunately has no prospects! :-)

     Art Peterson
     Alexandria, Virginia