Subject: Re: [Leica] minilux zoom v. contax tvs
From: Charles Dunlap <cdunlap@es.UCSC.EDU>
Date: Sat, 20 Jun 1998 17:22:27 -0800

>Is it true (Chasseur d'images, n=B0159, p.68) that the viewfinder of the
>Contax TVS is "incredibly dark" (sic) ?  Have you compared with the vf of
>the Minilux ?

I just took a look at the Minilux Zoom (MZ) today. The MZ viewfinder is
brighter than the Tvs viewfinder, but it's just as small and doesn't
display _any_ information. I shot a roll of film with the Tvs a while back,
and the viewfinder did not seem "incredibly dark" to me. Neither the Tvs or
the MZ is suitable for low-light work due to the max. apertures on the zoom
lenses; viewfinder brightness is trivial (in my view) compared to the
numerous other shortcomings of the MZ.

Looking at it today I noticed that the "manual" focussing actually
consisted of about ten click stops. As far as I could tell, when you
manually focus you are choosing one of about ten focus zones, you are not
getting a continuous focus range. This seems to be a nail in the coffin for
my opinion of the camera. Leica have provided no innovation here: they
haven't even met the challenge of the competition. If I were to spend the
money on a top quality point and shoot I wouldn't hesitate to pass up the
MZ for the Tvs. I have _not_ seen photos taken with the MZ--the lens could
yet compensate for all of the drawbacks of the body, but it would have to
be pretty stunning.

- -Charlie