Subject: [Leica] Leica roadshow in Belgium
From: Pascal <cyberdog@ibm.net>
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1998 19:20:56 +0200

Hello friends:

Today I attented the Leica roadshow in my hometown in Belgium. All Leica
binoculars, spotting scopes, M & R cameras, lenses and accessories,
compact cameras were on display and could be tested.
Of course, the newest items were present, such as the new Minilux Zoom,
M6 0.85x, Tri-Elmar-M,  180mm APO R, 50mm 1.4 R.

I tried the Minilux Zoom. This is a great camera by the looks and
handling of it. It is quite the same as the Minilux, but looks better
because it has a full titanium cover. The lens cannot retract in the
body, however, so in the inwards position, you have to put a lenscap on
it for protection (although there is a plastic see-through cover on the
lens that stays on the lens while taking pictures). Its major drawback in
my opinion: the loss of aperture-priority mode. So you can only use this
camera as a P&S camera in program mode. Otherwise functions are the same
as the Minilux. Both cameras will stay in the catalogue, but the Minilux
has been discounted, as the new Minilux Zoom is sold at a price that is
slightly higher than the original price for the Minilux.
A major selling point will be the add-on flash capability. The same
internal flash is built-in like the Minilux, but now you can add an
additional flash (Leica sells a titanium flash with guide number 20 for
it, that looks terrific), in fact any SCA 3501 compatible flash unit like
the newest Metz series.
The representatives showed me their test photos and I must say they look
truly impressive! This camera is a winner. So, if you don't need the
maximum lens opening of the Minilux (f/2.4), this one would be THE choice.

I also tried some of the super-wide angles on the R8 (Fisheye 16mm,
Elmarit 19mm and Super Elmar 15mm). They give impressive images (I don't
have any such lens yet, but now I am tempted to buy one, probably the
Elmarit 19mm as the reps (and some luggers) recommended it highly).

Best greetings from a very warm Belgium,

Pascal

Check out: http://members.xoom.com/cyberplace/
Macintosh PowerBook G3 - it eats Pentium notebooks for lunch