Subject: Re: [Leica] LUG web space project
From: "dannyg1@idt.net" <dannyg1@IDT.NET>
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1998 04:37:24 +0000

Alf,

> Danny, we may discuss the subject, when Francesco gets his USD 3.47 million
> back again, because he is innocent.

Would it surprise you to know that Playboy instituted an industry practice known as
'endorsement boilerplate', which effectively steals the copyright from the photographers
they've hired, *after* they've  first/previously negotiated fee's under the pretense of 'first
time N. American print rights'?

It's true; should Playboy recover any damages from 5senses, their copyright is only
solely infringed because they previously demanded copyright by putting 'work for hire'
language on the backs of their artists paychecks, even after negotiating photo fees on the
stated basis of FNAPRights. And they do it to this day.

> To me, question is, whether the LUG, LUG members, or what they represent
> can afford, to be associated in essential parts with copyright violations
> and porn.

I believe that you're steadfast in your conviction of Francesco as a pornographer. Your
opinion is your right but he's said that it's not true and I see no reason not to take him at
his  word, and beyond that, have zero interest in investigating him, judging him, testing
him or otherwise making a  negative example of him. It's a good thing he's offered and
it's good for all of us.

Technically I could be sued for copyright infringement for quoting too much of your
post, to which this post is in reply. If Brian left it on the server for a time, I suppose he'd
be sued along with me. Sounds a bit obtuse but it's almost the same situation: not only
would Francesco have to be a vigilant policeman, he'd also have to be very well studied
in every 'Playboy' image ever printed in order to keep his server free of them. A
herculean task.

Ironic thing that I didn't notice while writing my last message is that your webpage is up
now on the AOL server. You do know that those servers are infamous for doling out the
seriously vile, illegal porn?

I'm sorry that I can't agree with you Alf. This whole conversation 'just ain't right'.

Regards,
Danny Gonzalez