Subject: Re: [Leica] 35mm Summicron Comparisons
From: Bud Cook <budcook@ibm.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 19:53:41 -0500

Charlie,
I really have two decisions to make.  The first is whether it's worth it to
give up the convenience of the goggles for better optical quality.  Are the
current versions of the 35 Summicron greatly improved over the first version?
I suspect that they are.

The second question would be to choose between the last non-ASPH version and
the ASPH version.  In this case I'd have to consider the following:  a) is the
ASPH worth the extra cost when I'd seldom use the lens wide open? b) how much
would I want to use my 39 mm swing-out polarizer with this lens? c) are both
lenses equal in color transmission? and; d) is a late Canadian Summicron likely
to be more reliable than a lens from Solms?

Erwin Puts mentioned that the ASPH lenses may be somewhat warmer than the
non-ASPH lenses.  This is important to me since I'm extremely concerned about
the color rendition of a lens and I want all of my later lenses to be equal in
this respect.

Thank you for your input.

Best Regards,
Bud