Subject: [Leica] Wide Open 50 'lux-M
From: George Huczek <ghuczek@sk.sympatico.ca>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 1998 06:22:36 -0600

Last week there was some speculation that Leica might introduce a new
formulation of the 50 summilux-M lens now that the R version is available.
There were some comments made that suggested that the M version of the lens
needed improvement when used wide open.
   I asked if someone could make some computer space available so that I
could post a photo showing what the 50mm summilux-M could do wide open.
I'd like to thank Alfred Breull <puma@hannover.sgh-net.de> for making the
space available and for scanning a photo that I sent him last week.  It
took only a few days for the photo to get from Canada to Germany once I
printed it in the darkroom.
   The photo was taken last month with a 50mm summilux-M wide open on an
M6.  I hope that it illustrates that the lens is quite capable of taking
nice photos wide open.  Pascal wrote:

In support of Tom Shea, I can add that, according to the Chasseur
d'Images' test report, the Summilux-M 50 f/1.4 is especially soft at the
corners (even very soft at the widest 3 f-stops), but an excellent
performer as far as center sharpness is concerned (its sharpness is even
higher than that of equivalent lenses of Canon and Nikon at the widest 3
f-stops).
I have a Summilux-M 50mm and can say I am very pleased with its results &
handling! If you know the weaknesses of a lens, you can at least take
this into account in photographical praxis and use each lens for what it
is best suited. If I want an image with "even sharpness across the entire
field", I take the Summilux-M 35mm f/1.4 ASPH.

Taking the strengths and limitations of the lens into account, the photo I
have posted may help to illustrate what it can do at f/1.4.  You may view
the photo at: <http://members.aol.com/gallery711/gh.htm>  Comments are
welcome.
   Those who suggested that the computer monitor does not show the fine
detail that lenses can provide are absolutely right; comparing the high res
download to a print allowed me to see that the print held much more detail,
tone and subtle gradation than was evident on the monitor.  The photo may
help to serve as an illustration -- not definitive evidence of lens
performance.
   Mr. Breull's kind offer to post the photo for me has given me the
opportunity to illustrate the point I was making about the usefulness of
the 50 'lux-M wide open.  It has also given me the opportunity to share the
photo with others on the LUG.  I applaud the LUG webspace project that is
currently being considered.  It would give others like myself an
opportunity to introduce themselves photographically to the rest of the LUG
members.  I try to view whatever photos LUG members have on display.  Doing
so enables me to learn from them.  I find it to be a very worthwhile
experience.
Regards,
George

- -GH