Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Photos on the Web (longish)
From: "Jeff S" <segawa@netone.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 1998 20:54:42 -0600

- -----Original Message-----
From: Chandos Michael Brown <cmbrow@MAIL.WM.EDU>
>I don't wish to suggest that there's some transcendent standard against
>which all images must or should be judged: different horses for different
>course, chalk and cheese, and all that.  I am curious to learn why *some*
of
>us agree that some images are more compelling than others, and, more
>important, what do we think we're doing when we take photographs.

If we don't take care, this is going to evolve into an Art Critic's forum,
not a Leica User's Group :-)

I think that all photographers visualize a scene to a certain extent: We
call a photographer "inexperienced" or "accomplished" according to how much
or how little of this visualized image appears to be on the print, and how
much of it evidently is still solely in the photographer's mind ! ("You
can't really tell by this shot, but...")

Context/presentation also affect our perception of photos, with one of the
worst means of presentation being an envelope of quickie prints handed to
you, with no attempt having been made at editing out the obviously bad ones,
or even the duplicates.

>I can appreciate the process of using fine equipment as an end in itself,
>but if this were the only end, why not carry an M6 empty and click the
>shutter just for the pleasure of the sound it makes

Some do essentially that: They are known as "collectors". And when you think
about it, why *not* enjoy everyday objects as art? But this is not really
photo enthusiasm, but something else.

>Yet we share
>in common at some level what Veblen called the "instinct for workmanship."
>I'm just curious to know a little about what we can imagine that "instinct"
>to be.

The name Veblen is unfamiliar to me. Calvin and Hobbes, I know :-) Like the
book title says,  "There's Magic Everywhere". Photography serves as antidote
to boredom and apathy: How many times have each of us walked right on by a
situation that an Eisenstadt, HC-B, Adams, Bourke-White, et al would have
have turned into an incredible image, even an icon of an era? I almost hate
to think of it! Me, I encountered a "Clearing Winter Storm" of my own,
without a camera! Suffice to say, this mistake shall not be repeated!!

Jeff