Subject: Re: [Leica] Black Leicaflex
From: "Patrick G. Sobalvarro" <pgs@sobalvarro.org>
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 1998 00:24:55 -0700

inyoung@jps.net wrote:

> Hi,
>
>  I was talking today to a man who had a black enamel Leicaflex SL.  He said
> it was very rare.  I tried to find more about it in vain.  In several books
> that I have only black chrome version is mentioned, not the black enamel
> version.  Does anyone have any information on this?  How rare is this?

I have recently been shopping for black SL's, and have come to the
conclusion that black paint SL's may not be tremendously rare, although
certainly not as common as black chrome SL's.  I've just bought a black
paint SL MOT, which Sartorius says is very rare; but another can be seen
for sale at http://www.intermarket.it/ilcontatto/germania.htm, and the
price is not outrageous when one considers that an expensive SL/SL2
motor is included.  The LUG's own Bill Rosauer advertises a black enamel
SL at a good price in the latest LHSA catalog, and J. Uhl Foto Hobby in
Frankfurt advertise one for quite a bit more in their March/April flier.

Maybe they really are really rare, and the collectors don't care.  1,200
Olympic SL's were made.  No one seems to get very excited about them.
3,010 black paint M3's were made.  They fetch such high prices that
fakes are made.  I guess collectors just aren't much interested in Leica
reflex equipment.

- -Patrick