Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Photos on the Web
From: Chandos Michael Brown <cmbrow@mail.wm.edu>
Date: Sun, 14 Jun 1998 18:39:28 -0400

What would you say to the possibility that the placement of the viewfinder
on the RF body exposes more of the photographer's face to the subject,
which helps to establish a more direct rapport in the gaze?  I've often
felt that in street situations (as opposed to the studio--in which I have
comparatively little experience) that folk look at *me*, not the camera,
when I use the Leica or the Contax.  When I use the Canon, much of my face
is obscure; the lenses tend to be larger and more intimidating; the camera
itself intervenes between me and the subject.  Just a thought.  This is
partially obviated with the use of a tripod, which allows one to move away
from the camera, so I describe hand-held portraiture alone.

Chandos

>I've said it before and I'll repeat it now. The tunnelvision effect is a
side effect of
>viewfinder magnification and robs the photographer of a personal
connection to the
>subject. Anyone who's used an Olympus OM1, Pentax MX or even the lesser
magnified,
>though far better than R8, Leica R4: Larger view magnifications make
better photos.

>Danny Gonzalez

Chandos Michael Brown
Assoc. Prof., History and American Studies
College of William and Mary

http://www.resnet.wm.edu/~cmbrow/