Subject: RE: [Leica] CDI's 60mm f2.8 test
From: Alan Ball <AlanBall@csi.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Jun 1998 18:50:24 +0200

On Sunday, June 14, 1998 4:23 PM, Pascal [SMTP:cyberdog@ibm.net] wrote:
> ...<CUT>....
> Next time I think I'll refrain from mentioning CDI tests any more to
> avoid misunderstandings which might unfortunately be interpreted by some
> as me wanting to hide the truth.
> I do not intend to be dragged into such kind of debate, so this is the
> last word I'll say on the matter :-)

A pity: like you I have a lot of respect for CdI's procedures and analysis,
and, like you, I believe it is good to share their opinions with people who
have no access either to the magazine itself or to the language it is
written in. It is just a case of being careful and unbiased in the way we
may echo their findings.

BTW, the head editorial by Guy-Michel Cogne in the latest issue refers to
the tendency we may have to embellish their conclusions when it suits us:
"les utilisateurs n'aiment pas lire des choses desagreables sur les
produits qu'ils ont choisis", and "nous sommes parfois surpris d'entendre,
lors de discussions avec nos Lecteurs, la facon dont certains de nos tests
sont decodes".

It is all very human after all. Not implying it was your intention or that
your intention was to manipulate the truth. Sorry if that is what came
accross from my post. So i'm really looking forward to reading your summary
of the 50mm f1.4 and 180mm f2.8 apo tests. Should be soon, I think....

Hey, the sun is suddenly coming out, here in Brussels ! It is just about
time :-(