Subject: Re: [Leica] Ansel Adams' West
From: Peterson_Art@hq.navsea.navy.mil
Date: Sat, 13 Jun 1998 15:33:20 -0400

     Eric Welch wrote:

People who don't have an in-depth understanding of the West (U.S.), and the
rugged beauty, and the amazing complexity, vast landscapes and the
wonderful sense of  the primordial when tromping through the woods with
nary another human for miles around, who have the hardest time with Ansel
Adam's work I suspect. Not everyone mind you.

I grew up in the mountains of Oregon. Fishing along pure streams I could
drink straight out of (long time ago!), and sleeping under a lean-to of fir
boughs with a fire crackling outside and light snow falling. And never with
a camera in those days. I was there for "it," not for making pictures. Too,
bad, but I guess it's paid off in some ways.

That's the rugged outdoors that caused me to instantly understand Ansel
Adams' work. Nobody can tell me that his work has no meaning, because I know
from my own life what many of his pictures are about. Some I don't
understand either. That's the way with photography. But Ansel knew the West
as intimately as just about anyone who ever lived out there. I almost said
here, but for now I'm stuck in the midwest U.S. with my refuge of AA books
and my other photo - getaway - books.

We can't blame people for not responding to his work if it's so alien to
them they have no frame of reference to give them the same meanings we find
in our hearts and memories. Photography is so personal a thing I can't
imagine anyone being universally liked. Is there such a photographer?
Certainly not Cartier-Bresson.

     Eric,

     As one who grew up in suburban Philadelphia and has never even visited
     the West but yet finds the spacious magnificence of Adams' photographs
     immensely communicative, I would suggest that individual responses to
     art, and the reasons for them, must be infinitely subtle and complex.
     And they ARE individual, or as you've said, "so personal...[that]...I
     can't imagine anyone being universally liked."  When we make known our
     likes and dislikes and the reasons for them (as we SHOULD do, because
     that's a good way to learn about any art and about each other's ideas
     as well as our own), we should also try to maintain considerate regard
     for the differing viewpoints of others, keeping in mind that there are
     no absolute rights or wrongs here, but only relative ones.  Thanks for
     posting your own personal, evocative, and perceptive response to those
     photographs.

     Art Peterson