Subject: [Leica] birthing - on call!
From: tedgrant@islandnet.com (Ted Grant)
Date: Sat, 13 Jun 1998 07:11:44 +0100

G'day All,

Because LUGNUTS ask for "assignment stories" posted using our Leicas,  I
thought we could all go through this one to-gether waiting "on call" over
the next few  hours? days? week? :)

I'll try to keep you posted how things are going and the outcome of the
"Main Event!"

The lady I'm going to photograph is about to give birth to a second child
and I'm "on call" for the big moment! She and her husband have been friends
of ours for many years and she can "pop" it any day over the next few.

Her first, I "worked" along side her as she went through the throws of
labour from early morning until 7 p.m., almost ten hours, ending with a "C"
section for the little guy to arrive in the real world! Let me assure you,
it was one of those, "Longest Day" events! :) For her, husband and sure as
hell me! :)

Even though I have photographed many birthings, all "family pictures" not
crotch shots, as these never do anything for friends or family!!! Trust me,
forget the "head emerging kinds of stuff!" Unless you are a medical
photographer and the pictures are for "medical purpose" and not for showing
at the next coffee club meeting. Or the grand parents, "old folks don't
understand these kinds of pictures!"

As of yesterday her ultrasound images were looking good for a normal birth,
just waiting for Mother Nature and baby to get their act together and
escape the inner warmth of body to the cold cruel world. Which makes it
more difficult for  "assignment timing." :)

In otherwords, "you are on call" night or day, only a phone call away! M6
Leicas loaded, right lenses on bodies, lots of B&W film, an R7&8 with a
couple of lenses as back-up to the M6s. Hell of a relegated position for an
R8! :)

When you go to bed, your quick recovery clothes are bedside, cameras and
bag at the door. Simply because, sometimes when Mother Nature decides it's
time, man she doesn't wait around while you are trying to decide what film
to put in the camera. Nor "do I use the Summicron, Summilux, diddlylux" or
whether the "little red arrows" in the view finder are going to be a bother
and for sure, "you better not have the little red dot on your mind!" :)

You had better have everything clearly in mind,  "it's me, my Leicas loaded
and  out the door!"

Now we wait!!!!!!

Stay tuned and we'll sweat this one out together!:)

Ted Grant
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant