Subject: Re: [Leica] Vario-Elmar R 35-70 mm, f4 w/close focusing
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 1998 21:08:41 -0700

At 05:37 PM 6/10/98 -0700, you wrote:
>I am in complete accord with Greg.  In addition, Ed wrote:
><<does this Leica marvel of slow lens speed exhibit typical pincushion
and/or barrel distortion?>>

>I shot a newspaper taped to a wall, and did observe some distortion at
35mm, none at 50mm or 70 mm.

>I no longer shoot newspapers taped to walls with this lens.
>:-)
>
>Bob

I agree with you Bob, the world has few newspapers taped to walls. People,
places, and things, all 3D subjects, all successfully hide distortion. To
the point that... who cares. If you are a commercial photographer
photographing architecture, then get an appropriate lens. But for 99.9% of
the rest of us, distortion is not a photographic factor to worry about.

Jim Brick

http://www.photoaccess.com