Subject: Re: [Leica] The Polarizer Problem
From: Paul and Paula Butzi <butzi@halcyon.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 1998 16:26:16 -0700

At 10:48 AM 6/10/98 , Frank Dernie wrote:
heir swinging device? Also, on another tack what is a circular polariser?
>If orhtogonality of polarised light is required for cancellation as I
>understand it what is a circular polariser doing and how does it , for
>example cancel a reflection?

A circular polarised filter is simply a linear pol to filter
the light based on the polarization, followed by a
1/4 wave plate, which randomizes the polarization of
the transmitted light.  (Warning: my recollection of
what little optics I've learned is shaky.  Maybe it's
a half-wave plate, or something like that.)  The basic
upshot, though, is that it's a simple linear pol,
followed by another filter which takes the polarized
light which makes it through the first filter and randomizes
the polarization.

This only makes a difference if the stuff behind the
filter is sensitive to the polarization of the light that
reaches it.  Two obvious candidates would be
metering and autofocus sensors, often located behind
half-silvered mirrors, etc.

Doubtless I've screwed this description up somehow,
especially since I'm suffering from a wicked headache.
Perhaps this error will provoke one of the more optically
expert to give us the complete story.

- -Paul