Subject: [Leica] Leica Serial Numbers
From: Frank Dernie <FrankDernie@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Jun 1998 04:45:40 -0400

Patrick G. Sobalvarro wrote:-
"I thought I should point out that the numbers published in Rogliatti,
for example, are sometimes inaccurate, especially for items made in the
late sixties and later."

I am sure you are right, not all the texts agree about serial numbers. I
actually like Rogliatti because of the technical drawings etc. reproduced=
=2E
As an engineer I was fascinated by the evolution of the mechanisms rather=

than the plethora of cosmetic finishes. I find Rogliatti interesting in
this respect. I would imagine his serial No data is similar to most other=
which I believe have the same source.
Giunta has published more information on differences against serial
numbers, based on reports from owners. I think his data is the most
accurate FWIW. For example he shows several olive M3s around 927700 mark
that should not exist! Presumably a batch which did not make into permane=
nt
records. Lots of black specials were made 40+ years ago that were not
necessarily individually recorded. I had better stop now this is probably=

more boring to read even than to write!

Frank