Subject: [Leica] Re: [Leica] Pricing help w/ SL & lenses
From: Doug Herr <71247.3542@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Jun 1998 00:18:01 -0400

On Sun, 7 Jun 1998, Rick wrote:

>Found @ an estate sale:
>
>SL   badly needs a severe CLA and new battery spring tang.
>35mm 2 cam elmar
>50mm 2 cam summicron f2
>90mm 2 cam Elmarit
>135mm 2 cam  Elamrit
>
>All the glass is decent and no fungus.  The person handling
>the sale is a retired Rollei & Leica dealer.  I'm not too
>sure he's up on current prices since he retired about 1962.
>
>He wants about $1,600 for the body & lenses.  Have asked =

>several dealers and have told me it wasn't worth the effort.
>Your opinions?
>                           LTL (long time lurker)   -Rick

Rick,

You could probably purchase this set of lenses from a =

dealer for $1200 or so.  If the body needs much work it
would cost as much or more than a good working body =

to get it into good shape.

Leica (USA) told me a CLA for an SL is about $350, and the last time I ha=
SL battery contacts replaced (1984) it cost $50 (I think).  Shutter repai=
rs
or prism re-silvering can add even more to the cost.  You have to have a
non-rational justification for spending this much on repairs.  Once you
start using the SL you will become non-rational.

I'd offer no more than $1200 and figure on spending $400 repairing the SL=
=2E =

Depending on cosmetic condition, dealers are asking from $275 to $500 for=

chrome SL bodies in good working order.

OTOH, if you want to sell me that crummy old obsolete SL really cheap I'l=
relieve you of the hassle of repairing =

it <vbg>.

Doug Herr