Subject: Re: [Leica] NASA Leica MDa & SL
From: Dan Cardish <dcardish@microtec.net>
Date: Mon, 08 Jun 1998 20:23:49 -0400

At 09:06 PM 08-06-98 EDT, you wrote:
>In a message dated 6/8/98 Pacific Time, dcardish@microtec.net wrote:
>>  It is true (as far as I know) that an off the shelf 50 summicron was used
>>  on an unmanned sattelite (explorer?) that took video of the moon as it
>>  crashed into it.  I think this was in the early 60s.
>>  Dan C.
>   To the best of my remembrance, the NASA cameras had a enlarged and
> modified controls so that they could be used with gloved hands on a manned
> flight.  These were the MDa & SL (both mid 60's) so Dan must be referring
> to something earlier that I am not familiar with.  Was this a Leitz lens
in a
> Video Camera mount?  I can't for the life of me imagine why.   Marvin

I am referring to a pre-manned mission, very early in the moon program.  I
seem to recall now that this was the first vehicle which made a landing on
the moon, and determined that the surface of the moon was relatively firm,
and could sustain the weight of an astronaut.  If not this mission it was
the earlier one that I referred to above (I recall a LIFE magazine cover
shot of the approaching moon).  It's been awhile though, and my memory is a
bit hazy.  Maybe NASA's site has a historical summary of the eary moon
program.

Dan C.