Subject: [Leica] Unbiased Lens Testing / Erwin / Ted & Moss
From: Leikon35@aol.com
Date: Mon, 8 Jun 1998 17:19:33 EDT

 I have seen comparison photos from asph. & non asph. lenses and also
from chrons vs luxes & have also read most of  Erwin's fine evaluations
as well as Ted comparison between his new and 30 year old lens.  I don't
doubt that Ted saw a significant difference between his 2 lenses but can't
help wonder how much could be attributed to the Leitz lenses tendency to
get hazy with age.  Quite similar to our own bodies.  Ted etal, when was
the last time you went to a doctor for a CLA & I mean Dr's.Mueller, Krauter
Van Stelten or Goldberg ?

This post is not meant for the LUGger that does maintain his or her gear
the same way they get their fine automobiles seviced but someone in a
past post once mentioned that if you have never shined a flashlight thru
your lens & looked inside - DON'T !!!!!!  You will be appalled at the flakes
and dust etc. inside of the older lenses.  This situation has been greatly
improved by the use of not-volatile synthetic lubricants and ultra electro
static clean lens assembly rooms but it is never fair to compare an older
lens to a newer one without first obtaining a comparable clean old one.
I think that Erwin has run tests on lenses that were new off the shelf and
older ones but I wonder how clean the older lenses were. -- Marvin Moss