Subject: Re: [Leica] APO
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Sat, 06 Jun 1998 12:12:55 -0500

At 03:20 PM 6/6/98 +0200, you wrote:

>Eric's remark that the coverage of image field is also a criterion is not
>correct.

Are you saying Leica doesn't demand apochromatic correction across the
image field, edge to edge? I seem to recall Leica stating that very thing.
Not everything some Leica people say is true, for sure, but they don't tend
to make such official pronouncements if it's not true, in my experience.

And your comment about glasses having apochromatic characteristics is
misleading, no? No particular glass could be so described. It's a
combination of glass elements that brings about apochromatic correction. Do
you mean some glasses have high refractive index and anomalous dispersion
characteristics which makes such correction possible?

As many people in the past have said, there is no such thing as APO glass.
- --

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

Actual newspaper headline, 1/17/77: "Cold Wave Linked to Temperatures"